Wednesday 18 May 2011

First entry from SWB blog

My name is Angela Doré, and I’m in my fourth year of the Conflict Studies and Human Rights program at the University of Ottawa. I began my academic career in International Development, before I decided that Conflict Studies was a better fit for me, although I seem to be constantly drawn back to the field of development. I’ll be completing this internship as my last co-op term; my most recent two were with the Canadian International Development Agency, in Communications. Although I enjoyed my time with them, I felt I needed a change for my last term. This summer I will be working at the Southern Africa Development Community in the Gender Unit. I bring with me an open mind, and I am looking forward to what I can learn and contribute.

This will not be my first visit to Sub Saharan Africa. I traveled to Mozambique with Canada World Youth in December of 2006, and spent 3 months in Manhica, a town an hour from the capital city. It was a life changing learning experience, and one of the reasons I am eager to return, albeit with different expectations. This time will be a much more formal experience, and I expect that living in the capital city will be much different.

I am very interested in learning more about gender issues that people, and women in particular, face in Southern Africa. During my time in Mozambique, one of the women who had the most impact on me was my neighbour, Regina. With five children under the age of ten and a baby tied to her back, Regina cooked three meals a day while still managing to operate a small shop near the entrance of their house every day of the year, with a smile on her face throughout. The issues women face in sub Saharan Africa are much different than those I am familiar with, and I look forward to learning more about them.

With less than a month to go before departure, my focus is beginning to shift to leaving. As I finish exams and start to pack my things away in boxes, my mind is already turned to Botswana and this new challenge. I look forward to learning some Setswana, contributing and learning at my placement, and getting to know the people and culture.

Until next time – Sala sentle, stay well.


(You can find my official SWB blog at http://www.studentswithoutborders.ca/angela-dore/angela-dore-biography-2/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment